Wed 05 March 2014
This is the story of how I moved from Vim to Emacs and then back again. It's a story of modes, plugins, stock configs, mobile devices and eBooks.
My initial interest for Emacs was triggered by a blog post about org-mode. Org mode looked like the plain text productivity solution I had been looking for for a long time.
Apart from everything being plain text based, the functionality offered covered most of my bases. Not only is it a terrific outliner, it's also a very good todo list, note taking app and publishing solution.
For my blog I was using pelican and for my Android app I was generating separate versions of the documentation (one for on the web, one for in app). The switch to emacs with org mode allowed me to have one set of master files in org format, which where then
org-publish-ed to the different target formats.
This approach served me quite well. There were some lingering doubts though.
My problems with Vim were two fold.
I decided to try to fix both shortcomings. Even though Vim doesn't have org-mode I already have a great task manager in Simpletask. And notes can easily be kept in .rst files.
The second point was a bigger deal, but after re-reading Practical Vim it finally clicked. I was trying to mold Vim into something it wasn't (a SublimeText clone). Since then I have gone cold turkey on the plugins and I am quite happy with it, even though it does take some getting used to.
The fact that VimL is not a language I enjoy using is unchanged, but because I only use Vim now to edit text, that's less of an issue.